February 2, 2010
Many thanks for all of your contributions to any and all organizations that are providing support to the people of Haiti. These are greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, in many camps essentials such as food and clothing are not yet widely available, especially for women and children.
As with most other natural disasters, the strongest and the fittest tend to dominate disaster supply chain and distribution. Women and young girls are the last to have access to the supplies chain and distribution points. So they do not receive the supplies that they most urgently need in addition to food and water. So it is in Haiti. Rape of young girls and women is also a growing problem.
Haitian women, young girls and youths are in need of:
· Feminine supplies, combs, feminine wipes, panties, bras and clothes and other support (especially for pregnant women and new mothers).
· Personal/household supplies for birth delivery and after: (rubbing alcohol or disposable anti-germicidal substitutes; baby wipes, baby wraps, pampers, socks and caps and supplies for nursing mothers/newborn; (It is cold at nights so there is need to cover the feet and heads of the newborns).
· Clothing and under garments for women and young girls
· Bedding & blankets for babies and mothers.
· Urgent need for the morning after pill (rape of girls and young women is becoming a problem, as is common in the aftermath of most disasters).
· Any items that you think would be useful for women and girls.
· In general any supplies (such as toothpaste, tooth brushes etc) that can be used for daily living for men, women, boys and girls are welcome.
We need your support for these resources and any financial contribution towards shipment that you are able to make.
Donations can be left in the accompanying box and or may be sent directly to:
HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE FOR HAITI
Sergia Galvan and Mayra Tavarez
Colectiva Mujer y Salud
Calle José Gabriel García # 501
Ciudad Nueva. Santo Domingo
Tel: 1-809-682-3128 or 1-809-315-0571
US contacts: Mariama Williams/Stephanie Ebanks, 561-512-3756
Email: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
This is a specific drive for Emergency Supplies for Haitian women and girls that is being sponsored by the Caribbean Association for Feminist Research and Action (CAFRA) and Colectiva Mujers Y Salud (Women’s Health Collective), Dominican Republic, and the CAFRA Youth League in Haiti.
This assistance is being transferred primarily through the Myriam Merlet International Solidarity Camp directly to women and women´s organizations.
*Myriam Merlet was a National Representative of CAFRA who was killed during the earthquake.
Many, Many thanks!!!
Important information for those sending supplies on their own to the address above
Please properly label the supplies and include a list of what is in it. The Women in the Dominican Republic have negotiated with the Government in the DR for quick and duty free clearance of our supplies for Haiti, but it will go through alot quicker if there is a list. That way customs can simply do spot checks, rather than digging through everything to get an idea of what the supplies consist of.
Please also an email to the DR as well as the CAFRA Secretariat in St. Lucia which is coordinating logistics. The email addresses are as follows:
firstname.lastname@example.org (CAFRA´s Admin Officer)
email@example.com (Leader of the Women´s Collective in the DR) and
Mayra Tavarez (CAFRA´s National Representative in the DR).
This is so that the can know what is coming and also plan necessary transport logistics to get it to Haiti across the border.